Janda Ricci-Munn is an elite level multisport coach who specializes in the training of endurance athletes. Over the course of his extensive coaching career, Janda has helped hundreds of individuals from a wide variety of sports to attain success at the local, regional, national and international levels. Janda possesses the unique combination of over 30 years of “in the trenches” experience as a highly competitive athlete, an in-depth understanding of sports science and 2 decades worth of work as a coach and classroom based health & wellness teacher. His innovative use of scientific based testing and training techniques, coupled with his personalized approach to coaching has netted world-class results and notable headlines.
The cornerstone of Janda’s coaching operation is communication; he believes that in order for training to be successful, it must be individualized. Individualizing an athlete’s training entails much more than simply prescribing personalized training zones and reviewing workout data; it is the end product of a respectful, open and honest line of communication between athlete and coach. By establishing a close working relationship with each and every athlete that Janda works with, he is able to attain and maintain a clear understanding of his athletes' unique needs, limitations and competitive objectives.
Born and raised in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and a graduate of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Janda resides in his hometown of Gloucester with his wife Michelle and their children Ryder and Vivien.
- Multiple Ironman 70.3 World Championship podium finishers
- Numerous Ironman & 70.3 Pro/elite & overall age group champions, age group champions and podium finishers
- Multiple Hawaii Ironman World Championship qualifiers
- National championship titles in cyclocross, track cycling and paralympic track & field
Personal Athletic Highlights
- Half IronMan/70.3 PR of 3:57:53
- 2008 & 2009 Multi-time podium finisher (Pro/Elite), North America Ironman 70.3 Circuit
- 2007 IronMan World Championship 70.3; Overall Amateur World Champion
- 2007 Timberman IronMan 70.3; Overall Amateur Champion
- 2007 Eagleman IronMan 70.3; Overall Amateur Champion
- 2007 Nutmeg Half-Iron Triathlon Champion
- 2006 IronMan World Championship 70.3; Males 30 – 34 Age Group World Champion
- 1996 & 2000 FirmMan Half-Iron Triathlon Champion
Collegiate, High School & Jr. Competitive Experience
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst Cycling Team, Spring 1996 – Spring 1999
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst Cross Country/Track & Field Teams, Fall 1995 – Spring 1998
- Gloucester High School Cross Country, Indoor/Outdoor Track & Field Teams, Fall 1990 – Spring 1994
- USA Track & Field National Level Junior T&F/Cross-Country Competitor, 1986 – 1990